Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Listening to that inner voice


Listening To That Inner Voice

 

 

            It was a cold day in the fall of 2004, and my grandma and I were getting out of the car to go into Food Lion. I was freezing my toes off in my sneakers and I hated the cold, just like I hate it now. We walked into the grocery store and as usual, I went to the magazine rack while my grandma shopped.

            You see, I love to read and anytime something with words is around me I will read it. Even when I was in Kindergarten I loved books. Most of the time I would read, instead of playing at playtime in the classroom and I would drift off into an imaginary world. Somehow I learned to read remarkably fast and I have used it to my advantage, by learning and listening.

            This particular day however, I didn’t expect anything to go wrong. I mean, what thirteen year old girl would? Anyway, I was just reading a magazine when a man in a big black, puffy coat came walking down the aisle. I didn’t pay much attention to him until he happened to whistle at me…and I know what you’re thinking; this man has got some nerve right? Yeah, I thought the same thing.

            It was the same type of whistling a man did, when he found a woman attractive. The only problem was that I was thirteen, not thirty five! Has this man lost his mind? Or is he blind? I turned to look at this man once he was at the end of the aisle; close to where I stood. The man had brown skin, like that of a brown crayon and he had a long beard, but not touching his chest like Santa.

            To me, he seemed as though he could be in his mid thirties. Anyway, the man went walking around the store again and as soon as he left, I felt like someone had lightly punched me in my stomach, but it didn’t hurt. As soon as I felt that light punch, I put the magazine down and I walked back to where my grandma was shopping. I told my grandma everything that had happened and she was clearly upset. The man in the big black, puffy coat walks past us and I let my grandma know that was him.

            The man glanced at me for a second and then he continued walking. He slowed down once he came to the aisle that I was standing in before and looked, but he kept walking once he found out that I had really moved. After that, I never saw that man again. I have no idea what that man wanted, but I’m glad that I never got to find out.

            The more I think about it, the more I believe an angel was with me that day. They told me exactly what I needed to do and I indeed acted on it. I think if your intuition or body tells you something, you should listen to it. You never know what could happen, if you don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment